FAQ - School Re-opening 2021-2022
2021 - 2022 FAQ
Posted August 21, 2021
When is the first day of school for students? September 13, 2021
Where can I find the DOE School Calendar? DOE School Calendar
Does my child qualify for bus service? Bus service is determined by the home address of the child. Click on this link to see if you meet the criteria: Bus Eligibility
Where can I locate my child's bus route? To view information on your child’s transportation services and busing information log into your NYCSA account. My Student NYC Account
What is the social distance guideline? Students will be 3 feet apart for instructional and meal time.
How will meals be at PS 144? Students will eat meals 3 ft apart according to the guidelines. Students will use the cafeteria and sit 3 at a table to social distance. Students will have 20 minutes to eat their lunch. Breakfast will be served at 7:30 a.m. using the Main Entrance doors. Breakfast will be a cold Grab and Go meal. Lunch will be a hot lunch. Students will eat snack in the classrooms 3 ft apart according to the guidelines.
Arrival? We will have 4 gates open for access to the courtyard area. 2 on Kessel and 2 on Juno. Please have your child's health screening ready and then once your child enters the courtyard area please say good-bye and leave the area. This will help with social distancing. Students will line up by grade and then enter the building no earlier than 7:55 a.m.
- Grade 3-K and Pre-K: Students will walk up the ramp by Door H (by the playground)
- Kindergarten Students will walk into the building by the small courtyard in the back Door G
- Grade 1: Students will enter Door 5/6
- Grade 2: Students will enter Door 4
- Grade 3: Students will enter the building through Door 7 (in the courtyard)
- Grade 4: Students will use the door by Kessel/69th
- Grade 5: Students will use the door by Juno/69th
Where is the link to the Daily Health Screening? Daily Health Screening
What doors will the students be using for dismissal in the afternoon? Each teacher is assigned to a specific space in which they will line-up. We ask the parents to please not call your child from afar and instead walk up to the teacher and ask for your child. Signs will be posted where each class will be dismissed from. To make dismissal run smoothly we ask parents come with a sign with your childs' name the first week of school.
- 3K & Pre-K: 2:00 p.m. Teachers will dismiss students through the exit door in the back of the building. Parents need to wait on Juno Street by the entrance to the courtyard area.
- K: 2:05 p.m. Students will be dismissed from doors on 69th Avenue by either Kessel Street or Juno Street - look for the class sign on the fence to know what door your child dismisses from. Please wait on the sidewalk and not under the scaffold.
- 1st grade: 2:10 p.m. Students will be dismissed using the doors behind the building (Parents please wait outside for your child)
- 2nd grade: 2:10 p.m. Students will be dismissed using the doors behind the building (Parents please wait outside for your child)
- 3rd grade: 2:15 p.m. Grade 3 will be dismissed using the doors at the back of the building. Please stand by the sign posted for your child's class.
- 4th grade: 2:15 p.m. Grade 4 will be dismissed using the doors on 69th Avenue by Kessel Street. Please stand on the sidewalk to wait for your child's class.
- 5th grade: 2:15 p.m. Grade 5 will be dismissed using the doors on 69th Avenue by Juno Street. Please stand on the sidewalk to wait for your child's class.
Do we need to consent to Covid Testing? Covid testing is for students in Grades 1 - 5. It is random testing for COVID-19. The test is quick, easy, and painless, and it helps protect our school and broader communities
What is the weather guideline for students to go outside?
Children benefit from vigorous exercise and should be given the opportunity to play outside whenever possible, while maintaining social distancing. Unless it is snowing, or there is ice on the playground, or the wind chill factor produces an effective temperature below zero degrees Fahrenheit (-18 degrees Celsius), temperature alone should not be a barrier to outdoor play.
The staff is encouraged to maintain outdoor play periods. Please make sure your child dresses warm and ensure that they are appropriately dressed on very cold days. When outdoors, ensure that your child covers exposed skin, wear warm clothing, and use multiple layers to maintain warmth. Students should also continue to adhere to physical distancing requirements by remaining at least six feet apart at all times.
Do students have to wear a mask all day? Yes. All students will have to wear a mask while in the building during the day. When they are eating they may take their mask off.
Will students have masks breaks? Yes, during the day the students will have a mask break. The ideal masks break will take place outside where students in a class will be socially distant. Mask breaks may happen in the classroom with the windows opened during inclement weather.
Will my child be permitted to use the bathroom during the day? Students in Pre-K and K have bathrooms in their classrooms and can use the bathroom anytime during the school day. Students in Grades 1 – 5 can also go to the bathroom at any time during the school day. They will be asked to use the hand sanitizer prior to leaving the classroom and upon returning to the classroom. They will be reminded of proper hand washing throughout the day. A staff member will be outside of the bathrooms to monitor how many students are in the bathroom at a time.
What supplies does my child need? Click on the link and scroll down to your grade. 3K and Pre-K does not need to bring in any supplies. Supply List
When will we be notified who my child's teacher is? On the first day of school you will find out who your child's teacher is. Adjustment to classes are being made daily due to the social distance guidelines. As stated on the report card class placements are subject to change as we get closer to the opening of school. If your child is in 3K, Pre-K or Kindergarten letters will be mailed home the week of August 30th.
My child will no longer be attending PS 144 and I need to return the iPad; how do I do it? We would prefer all iPads of students moving be returned to our building. If that is not possible please click on this link on how to return the iPad. IPAD Return
- knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of gifted students;
- the skills for planning, providing and coordinating differentiated teaching and learning environments that appropriately challenge gifted students so they achieve at high levels; and
- abilities to collaborate with families and school staff to provide individualized instruction for gifted students
Where does the Afterschool Program dismiss? The afterschool program will use the main entrance on Juno Street for dismissal. Please wait on the sidewalk until the children exit the building.
Where do I find information on PA events and meetings? Please visit the events page on our website for more information: PA Events Page