- Math - The Envisons program will be used for Mathematics instruction for Grades K - 5
- Reading - The Teacher’s College Units of Reading will be used for Reading instruction for Grades K - 5
- Writing - The Teacher’s College Units of Writing will be used for Writing instruction for Grades K - 5
- Social Studies - The Passport to Social Studies Program for Grades K - 5
- Science - Amplify Science Program for Grades K - 5
At the bottom of this page there is a link to the specific grade curriculum
English as a New Language (ENL)
Welcome to English as a New Language (ENL, formerly known as ESL) at P.S. 144! Eligibility for our ENL program is determined by an English proficiency test given within 10 days of new student registration.
Students’ proficiency levels determine how many minutes of ENL services they receive. During in-school learning, ENL can be push-in (provided in students’ regular classroom) or pull-out (provided in separate ENL classroom).
All English Language Learner (ELL) students take the annual NYSESLAT test each Spring to determine their proficiency level for the following school year. Please note, due to the Covid-19 pandemic and remote learning, there was no NYSESLAT 2020 administered. English language learners in SY 2020-2021 will receive minutes of ENL according to their NYSESLAT 2019 results.
At P.S. 144, we are dedicated to helping our bilingual students learn social and academic English using research-based strategies, lesson modifications, and FUN! If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Dimaiuta (grades K-2) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Gill (grades 3-5) at email@example.com.
Links for ELL Parents:
- Colorín Colorado- Excellent resource for bilingual students and families.
- NYC DOE Division of English Language Learners- Includes information about the different types of English Language Learner programs in NYC and your rights as the parent of an English Language Learner.
- Clever- (Clever NYC DOE Login) Through Clever.com, all NYC DOE students including English Language Learners have access to a variety of great educational websites and app. Please contact your child’s teacher for recommendations.